or maybe photo cvpier (pixels and character machine)
While we've been thinking specifically of EPUB as a format for publishing, rather than targeting just today's (rather niche) e-readers, we're more interested in an approach to digital publishing as a means of:
- Distributing self-contained "units" that are...
- Indexed and free text searchable
- Downloadable (in useful formats for both reading and (re)writing)
- Remixable (a "photo-copier" model of easily copying portions of several documents and binding together in new bundles or mini-publications)
Significantly, we look at and consider:
- Images and the use of machinic vision algorithms (including OCR) as a means of bridging between text and image (and consider what image indexes do and can mean)
- Generativity: how might for instance figures be dynamically determined and/or generated to produce on-the-fly generated, one of a kind electronic publications
- Linking via Language processing tools such as those based on NLTK (textblob and pattern) as extensions to reconsider/revisit literary practices such as quotation, reference, and their corresponding hypertext equivilients of the hyperlink.
We imagine a hybrid workflow using existing tools such as:
- mediawiki (this one!) to provide an editing backend
- An "orderings style" interface where one kind bookmark / snapshot configurations (layerings, croppings), and embed these in other writing contexts (ie wiki page, blog post)
- Support for "backlinks" or pingbacks to / from these image configurations (ie when browsing via orderings, you come to find links to blog posts where (some portion) of an image is embedded).
(BOOK LAUNCH? Nov 24 2016)